What’s to Love About a Hand Held Bidet Sprayer?
The tried and true hand held bidet. Also great for cleaning diapers. How can you go wrong?!
The latter is deal for anyone who wants to enjoy the functionality of a shower head with the simplicity of a small handheld sprayer, the bidet sprayer is a fantastic in-between and can be the leaping-off platform you need to step into the beautiful world of bidets.
Here’s everything you need to know about this nifty accessory.
What is a Handheld Bidet Sprayer?
The handheld bidet sprayer is sometimes called a shattaf. Popular in the Middle East, this handy tool is a simple yet highly effective way to clean your nether regions.
Hand held toilet sprayers aren’t just popular throughout the middle east, though: they’re also standard in areas like Brazil, Portugal, India, and throughout the Far East. Because of their popularity in Muslim households, hand held bidet sprayers are sometimes called “Muslim showers.”
As bidets begin to sweep the nation, though, handheld bidet sprayers are becoming a more popular way for everyone to enjoy the benefits of a bidet. In many cases, tourists use them while traveling through their native areas, and end up enjoying the experience. This results in people installing them in U.S. homes, and the accessory spreading throughout the country.
Because it’s a handheld device, it offers a bit more control than a traditional bidet or a bidet toilet seat attachment. This is ideal for people who are new to the world of bidets and feel a bit nervous about the automatic functionalities of some of the other models.
Today, the handheld bidet sprayer is used all over the world for simplicity, and as a smart way to clean the nether regions of people all over the globe. Cost-effective, simple to install, and easy (and versatile) to use, this is a fantastic alternative to electronic toilet seats.
How a Handheld Bidet Sprayer Works
If you’ve ever seen a bidet toilet seat and felt intimidated (“What are all those fancy nozzles?? It does what automatically?”) a handheld bidet sprayer set for toilets will be a breath of fresh air. Simple, easy to use, and almost brainless to install, the structure of the hand-held bidet sprayer is pretty straightforward.
Featuring a T-adapter and a built-in shut-off valve, which connects to the water line, which then connects to the toilet, a bidet sprayer features a flexible hose, a squeeze trigger, and a small, stainless steel head. Think of it a bit like a garden sprayer, but for your bum!
Using a Handheld Bidet Sprayer: 4 Simple Steps
Using a hand bidet sprayer is a bit more of a dynamic experience than using an automatic seat. While an electric bidet seat will simply adjust and spray at the push of a button, you have to adjust a hand bidet sprayer accordingly. Here’s a simple step-by-step process to using one:
- Grab the sprayer head. Usually, this sits on a hook or holder near the side of the toilet, or on the wall near the commode.
- Open the shut-off valve. This opens the flow of water and allows you to use the sprayer to its full potential.
- Start the spray. Squeeze the trigger to start the spray of water. While a handheld bidet doesn’t offer the automatic functionality of a seat, this part offers much more control than the alternatives. You can adjust the pressure to be as light or as strong as you’d like and shift the spray direction accordingly.
- Dry off. Handheld bidets obviously don’t offer an electronic air-dry feature, so you’ll have to dry off after using one. Or just air dry in the traditional sense!
The Features of a Hand Bidet Sprayer
For most people, a hand bidet sprayer is a nice introduction to bidets.
A simple way to enjoy the functionality of a bidet without all the bells and whistles of more advanced bidet toilet seats or bidet attachments, hand bidets are cost-effective, simple to install, and easy to use.
They do, however, offer fewer features than their more advanced cousins. Here are a few things you can look forward to with one of these simple units:
- Easy Attachment. Handheld bidets will attach to virtually any toilet without electricity or batteries. This makes them a near-universal tool and a lovely option for anyone who wants to upgrade, not overhaul their bathroom.
- No Leaking. Handheld bidets are virtually leak-proof, which is great for anyone who isn’t a plumber and doesn’t play one on the internet. With one of these fixtures, you won’t ever have to worry about your bathroom leaking or your bidet doing damage to your bathroom floor.
- Easy to Mount. Models like the Brondell CleanSpa Luxury Hand Held are easy to install and essentially leak-proof. Just mount the holster to the toilet or the wall and stretch the classy metal hose to reach you whenever you need it. With a length of about four feet, it’s easy to get everything you need from a simple option like this.
- Stainless Steel Construction. Most handheld bidets are constructed entirely from stainless steel, which makes them sanitary and easy to clean.
- Adjustability. On some units, the pressure and gauge of the water spray are adjustable. Want to class it up a bit? Grab a hot/cold mixing valve upgrade kit to add adjustable warm water to your bidet. Made from durable materials and backed by an outstanding Brondell warranty, this kit is the perfect way to make your hand bidet more functional and ensure you’re getting as much use as possible from the unit you purchase.
Change Your Life, Get a Bidet Sprayer
If you don’t want to invest in a pricey bidet toilet seat, you don’t need to. Purchasing a simple hand bidet sprayer is a great way to get into the wonderful world of bidets, without trashing your toilet seat or getting all the bells and whistles you don’t need. Easy to install, simple to use, and ideal for all current, former, and would-be bidet users, a hand bidet sprayer is a great way to clean your bum and class up your act.
What are you waiting for? Shop the best hand bidet sprayers on the market below!